Friday, June 17, 2011

Kiko Loureiro : interview to Anusaya website



Check out the new interview of Kiko Loureiro to Anusaya.com ! Enjoy;)

"Kiko Loureiro is a Brazilian Heavy metal guitarist who has worked with such bands as Angra, Silent Moon, Blezqi Zatzas, and Neural Code. Beginning his musical studies at age eleven, Kiko has never stopped evolving both as a guitarist and a composer.

In March 2007, Kiko Loureiro was voted “Best Guitarist” by respected Japanese music publication BURRN. Quite an achievement for a guitarist from Brazil whose meteoric career has spawned numerous studio and live albums with Angra, as well as solo albums No Gravity, Fullblast and Universo Inverso.

This guitar virtuoso’s bravura can be compared to the masters of the instrument. Kiko is a multitalented musician with a deep knowledge of Rock ‘n’ Roll, Heavy Metal and Jazz – while taking on many instruments in his solo recordings. I talked to Kiko Loureiro recently about his biggest triumph and greatest challenge as an artist.


What are your top five picks of classic muscle cars?

Kiko Loureiro : I don’t know – I was always into guitar and amps.


Who or what inspired you to pick up your first instrument and how old were you?

Kiko Loureiro : I was eleven. A privet teacher used to come home to give lessons for my sister. She gave up, and my mother asked: Why don’t you start in her place? I said yes. Luckily.


Remembering back to your first time in front of a live audience, what comes to mind?

Kiko Loureiro : It was in small bars, nothing so important. What actually comes to my mind: my first big shows in Sao Paulo, Paris, or Tokyo – When I was already 20 something years old. Also, I remember when I opened for AC/DC in front of 40,000 people.


What has been your biggest triumph as an artist? Greatest challenge?
Kiko: Keep playing, keep playing my music, and doing my albums. That’s the biggest triumph.

The challenge is to keep doing it and living from that. Also, to keep creating interesting music for my and others’ pleasure. Never retiring – that’s a challenge.


If the whole world were listening, what would you play? And why?

Kiko Loureiro : I would ask for silence and people to listen to the sounds of nature.


As your music as evolved, what do you think has been the most significant change and do you consider it a positive or a negative?

Kiko Loureiro : Always positive – I didn’t loose the passion for music even after so many years inside the music business.
Another positive is that I feel I have a bit more control of what I play, and play what comes to my mind.


What do you want fans to get from your music?

Kiko Loureiro : Enjoy my music, as I enjoy playing for them. Just that. Enjoying what I play is enjoying my personality, and getting connected to my feelings. No need to be more than that.


What is your favorite song to perform live? Why?
Kiko Loureiro : The songs I’m playing for the first time.


What do you value most in life?

Kiko Loureiro : Life? (smiles) Music. Family.


If you could, is there a band or artist that you could recommend (Who they may not know about, but you think they should.) to our readers?

Kiko Loureiro : I love Brazilian acoustic guitar playing, so I will suggest an amazing player – Marco Tardelli.


I would like to thank Kiko Loureiro for his participation in this interview.

New Tribute to Jason Becker – HEART OF A HERO - just released by Guitar Clinic and top Brazilian guitarists including Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and Rafael Bittencourt – you can download the new tribute to Jason for free in MP3 format!! It is free but I personally would like to encourage you to donate to the cause of Jason Becker!"

Denise Smith for Anusaya.com (interview 2011.06.15)

For more news : Anusaya.com